Successful Surgery on Fr. Edgar in Indonesial

June 27, 2018 -

            Fr. Edgar Dacaldacal, a Rogationist missionary in Maumere, Indonesia had a successful three-hour orthopedic operation on June 27 at St. Vincent de Paul Hospital in Surabaya in the Island of East Java, run by the Sisters of the Holy Spirit (female counterpart of the SVDs). After the operation, he was taken to the post-operation care unit (isolation room) for intensive supervision. Now, he has been transferred to a room, started having solid food, and the therapy session. He is assisted by Fr. Elmer Dula and Fr. Henrikus Gualbertus of the Missionary Station of Maumere, and by Fr. Ariel Tecson, Provincial Councilor of St. Matthew Province, who was sent by the Provincial Superior for this purpose.

            Fr. Edgar met a serious road accident on June 18, while the community was on the way to the convent of the Pink Sisters in Manggarai for their annual retreat. The confreres were riding on motorbikes, the usual mode of transportation in Maumere, and a pick-up. Fr. Egdar was hit at the curve by another pick-up coming from the opposite direction which occupied the other lane of the road. He was thrown several meters away and ended at the roadside canal, with a seriously broken calf and heel in his right leg. He was rushed to the nearest hospital in Bajawa, which unfortunately had no surgeon at that time due to the national holiday and was not sufficiently equipped for these cases. He was then sent by ambulance to Maumere which took an 8-hour drive away. But again, there was no hospital sufficiently equipped in Maumere either. The doctors performed a remedial surgery on his leg and arranged that Fr. Edgar be transported to Surabaja at the Holy Spirit Sisters’ university hospital with an orthopedic department. On June 25, Fr. Edgar was transported by plane to Surabaya, and two days later, subjected to surgery. 

Acknowledging the grace of the Lord and Our Lady for the successful operation, the Missionary Station thanks he everyone for the prayers and expression of support. At the same, let us continue for the quick and full recovery of Fr. Edgar so as to resume his service and mission in Indonesia. 

Fr. Dacks entered the operation room yesterday at 2:30 pm. The operation started at 2:40 pm and lasted for about three hours. Afterwards, he proceeded to the health care unit (isolation room) for intensive supervision. This morning, he started his therapy session. Fr. Dacks, as usual, exudes a jovial, light and hopeful spirit. He is truly grateful for all the prayers and support you have extended to him and to the Congregation. We thank the Lord and Our Lady for a successful operation. Let us continue to accompany him and the Indonesian Rogationist community with our prayerful solicitude. 
Deo gratias! 


Memorial of Our Lady of Perpetual Help 
Update on Fr. Edgar " Dacks" 
St. Vincent de Paul Hospital 
Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia